Mr. Stroyd began practicing law following a clerkship with the late Honorable Joseph F. Weis, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He spent much of his career with the international law firm, Reed Smith LLP, where he was one of its Managing Partners also serving as Head of its Litigation Group, as the Practice Leader for its Products Liability and Insurance Coverage Group and as its Recruiting Partner. In his years of practice, he has had extensive trial experience in all areas of civil litigation. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and has been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in six (6) categories including "Bet-the-Company Litigation," in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers including Pittsburgh's Top 50 Super Lawyers, in The Best Lawyers in Pennsylvania and with an "AV Preeminent Rating," the highest mark for ethics and professional excellence from Martindale-Hubbell's Peer Review Ratings, for more than 35 years.
Mr. Stroyd has handled a wide array of sophisticated matters involving commercial disputes, contract negotiations, intellectual property/patent litigation, the formation and dissolution of businesses, breaches of contract, corporate waste, the sale and disposition of properties, restrictive covenants, the valuation of assets and business opportunities, product liability litigation, construction disputes and more. His experience in these areas has taken him into courts and arbitrations around the country, representing major corporations, financial institutions and individual entrepreneurs. He has planned and lectured at various seminars relating to commercial litigation, civil procedure, construction law, products liability as well as trial and appellate practice and was in charge of training the litigation attorneys and paralegals at Reed Smith.
He serves on the Board of Pennsylvania Lawyers Fund for Client Security and has served on the Advisory Committee for Pennsylvania Bar Association's Commission for Justice Initiatives, was a member of the Jury Service Committee of the Pennsylvania Interbranch Commission for Gender, Racial & Ethnic Fairness and is General Counsel of the Material Handling Industry, a trade association of 700 manufacturers in North Carolina. He is the past President of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County and of the Allegheny County Bar Association, where he also served as Chair of its Judiciary Committee and its Civil Litigation Section. He was also a member of the Pennsylvania Civil Procedural Rules Committee and of the House of Delegates of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
After graduating from Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, with an A.B. in economics, he entered the School of Law of the University of Pittsburgh. He received his J.D. after serving as an Officer in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War.
Areas Of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Negotiations
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Mediator, Arbitrator & Early Neutral Evaluation - Federal Mediation Program
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio
- Major: Economics
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in 6 Practice Areas since 2003 and previous "Lawyer of the Year" - The Best Lawyers in America
- Pittsburgh's Top 50 Super Lawyers
- The Gregg Cup – (Kenyon College's highest alumni accolade)
- AV Preeminent Peer Rating - Martindale Hubbell for more than 35 years
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, Past-President & Board of Governors
- Pennsylvania Lawyers Fund for Client Security, Board of Directors
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Past-President; Judiciary Committee (former Chair) & Civil Litigation Council (former Chair)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association's Commission for Justice Initiatives, Advisory Committee
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court's Civil Procedural Rules Committee, Past Member
- Material Handling Industry (trade association - Charlotte, NC), General Counsel
Past Employment Positions
- The Honorable Joseph F. Weis, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Law Clerk
- Reed Smith LLP, Managing Partner, Head of its Litigation Group, Practice Leader for its Products Liability and Insurance Coverage Group, Recruiting Partner
- U.S. Navy, Legal Officer